Who Are Moravians?
If you feel at home worshiping in “mainstream” Protestant churches (Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.) you would feel at home worshiping in the Moravian Church. The Moravian denomination dates back to 1457 with the followers of John Hus. The name comes from roots that began in Moravia, now a part of the Czech Republic. Moravians have been in the United States for over 250 years. In 1735, Moravians came to America to share God’s love and to establish worshiping communities throughout the colonies.
Today the Moravian Church is worldwide with about 1 million members. 90% of Moravians worldwide are people of color. There are about 150 congregations in North America, with about 37,000 Moravians in the United States.
Moravians hold to the basic principles and affirmations of faith that are common to all Protestant churches. Our emphasis is on devotion to Jesus Christ and how we live out our faith in community. We strive to live by the motto, “In essentials, Unity; In non-essentials, Liberty; In all things, Love.”
For more information on the history of the Moravian Church and what Moravians believe, please see www.moravian.org
About Our Congregation
1948 – Tent Ministry
The history of the Palmer Moravian Church is a story of men and women seeking God’s will and then following God’s leading. Our history begins in 1948 when The Rev. Hugh Kemper, pastor of the First Moravian Church in Easton, PA recognized the need for a Moravian Church in Palmer Heights, a suburb of Easton.
After Rev. Kemper requested the Eastern District to consider beginning Moravian work in this area, eleven students from Moravian Theological Seminary went door-to-door. The resident survey indicated interest in having a “community church” in Palmer Heights, now known as Palmer Township.
A 50 foot army hospital tent was purchased and erected at the corner of Broad Street and Greenwood Avenue. The first worship service was held in the tent on Sunday, June 2, 1948.
Sunday services were held at 3:30 p.m. with Sunday School at 2:30 p.m. As fall approached, worshippers realized the tent would not provide adequate facilities for the winter months. Although not yet recognized as a Moravian Church, this dedicated group of men and women decided to erect a church building in order to meet the spiritual needs of this community.
1948 – Fireside Room
Ground breaking was October 3, 1948. Six weeks and $8,300 later, the building, now known as the Fireside Room, was dedicated on November 21, 1948. This building was constructed of concrete block with an oil-fired radiant floor heating system and had a seating capacity of 200.
The Palmer Township Community Moravian Church became official on April 10, 1949 as 67 men and women signed the Charter. In less than three years, additional space was needed for ministry, and on September 14, 1952, a second building was dedicated to the Glory of God. This more than doubled the total ministry space for the church.
1956 – Sanctuary , Fellowship Hall, and Classrooms Added
By 1956, it became obvious that more worship space was needed. On December 13, 1959, the current sanctuary with a seating capacity of 350 was dedicated as well as the fellowship hall and several classrooms.
2001 – An Additional 9,000 Sq. Ft. Added for Additional Ministry
Almost 40 years after the congregation’s last building addition, it became apparent that more space was needed for an expanding and growing ministry. In 2001 an addition was dedicated with a new gathering area for fellowship and coffee hours; two fully accessible rest room facilities; music suite consisting of a choir rehearsal area, bell choir rehearsal area, robing room, and music office/library; two classrooms for Sunday School and Day School; elevator accessing the three levels of the church; storage area; handicapped accessible restroom next to the elevator; church office; pastor’s office; conference room; living room; and classroom for a larger nursery.